Friday 7 January 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Wk 2 - Winter

Week 2: Winter. What was winter like where and when you grew up? Describe not only the climate, but how the season influenced your activities, food choices, etc.

I grew up in the South East of England and the winters were very cold with some snow. When it would start to snow and there was a decent depth of snow we would wrap up warm and go out for a walk in the snow, while it was still fresh. It was lovely, no fear at all of falling. We lived in a town so the lovely thick snow soon became slushy and horrid. I love, even now to walk in the thick snow, wrapped all warm and snug. There is always a eerie silence when it snows, I have never understood why.

As a child at senior school I was a very keen hockey player, we would, even in the coldest of winters don our PE kits and head off to the pitch. Our PE kit consisted of a navy blue skirt and a red shirt. We also had to wear red knee high socks and hockey shoes. We would stand on the pitch with the warmth of our breath blowing onto the cold air, our hands and knees with a red tinge from the cold. Those were happy days, we would long to get playing so we could get warm.

Winter food were typically stews and soups. I do the same now. My Mum's casserole is always a favourite, even now when Mum visits I ask her to make me a casserole. A mix of suede, carrots, onion, mushrooms with a lovely gravy with braising steak, complete with mash potato. We may have to have one tomorrow!

Other foods we had during the winter were stuffed hearts, liver in gravy and shepherds pie. We still have those foods of course, although I am not so restrictive to have them just in the depth of winter. Although we don't tend to have them when it is warmer. As a child I remember a treat on a Saturday night was a really big baked potato cooked in the oven in tin foil. My Grandmother would stand and grate lots of mature cheddar cheese for us to have over the potato. It was a real treat and now we can of course buy baked potato's for a few pounds ready done in the microwave, nothing can beat the smell of a oven baked one and I am always plunged back to my childhood and those happy memories.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of fresh bread with winter stew or soup, don't you.
    I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...