Sunday 27 February 2011

Weekend Cooking - The Highwayman's Haunt

To find out about the Weekend Cooking feature hosted by Beth Fish Reads click HERE

We came back a little earlier from a delightful meal at a country pub recommended to us by a former work colleague. The food was delicious.

The venue was an coaching house called The Highwayman's Haunt, in the Devon rural village of Chudleigh. The atmosphere was low key and very pleasant and the menu full of choice. The venue has an impressive history,and dates from 1239.

My selection was a lovely dish called Drunk Mutton which is a leg of lamb served in a red current, rosemary and madeira sauce served with the most delicious roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables. Tonight's selection was mash suede, carrots and broccoli.

I don't usually have a desert, but could not resist the dark chocolate liqueur mouse followed by coffee.

A lovely evening and the food highly recommended.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great pub. We eat a lot of lamb and that maderia sauce sounds fabulous.

    Thanks so much for linking up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely tempted to try it out.. If I'm ever in the area I'll be sure to drop by!

    BTW I have nominated you for the Ancestor Approved Award. Hope you haven't already received it.
    http://www.walkingwithancestors.co.uk/2011/02/28/ancestor-approved-award/

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello to both Beth's!

    Yes the lamb was delicious! and I may try it at home.

    bethevens, if you are down this way come and say hello! Thanks for the award. I have left a post on your posting, as I was awarded it a few weeks ago, but I am delighted that you enjoy my ramblings that you felt I was worthy of it, so thank you.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...