Friday 1 April 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Wk 13 - Sweets

Week 13: Sweets. What was your favourite childhood candy or dessert? Have your tastes changed since then? What satisfies your sweet tooth today?
Challenge runs from Saturday 26 March through until Friday 1st April 2011

When I was growing up there was a newspaper shop on the corner of Bridge Street and Friary Street in Guildford owned by the Alyward-Smith family. There is always a lovely smell in a sweet shop, and as I type I can relive that smell!

I remember that sweets could be purchased by the ounce and a favourite was plain chocolate toffees. The brand was Callard & Bowser. Even now I am rather partial to plain chocolate toffees! I was not very keen on penny chews, but liked fruit pastilles and gums. I also remember my Grandmother buying for me the small packets of some sort of chews that looked a bit like cigarettes. Mints, as a child my Grandmother would never go out without a packet of mints in her pocket. There was also the liquorice rounds, called Catherine Wheels that had in the middle of them a sweet from the allsorts range - I always took this out and still do and pass it onto hubby!

2 comments:

  1. I loved Terry's chocolates. We stopped by our little piece of England here in Texas - the British Emporium. We bought marmite and Curly Whirlys
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention curly Whirlys I saw some recently when I was in a shop and bought two then Stuart and I had a trip down memory lane to our respective childhoods!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...