Saturday 16 April 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Wk 15 - Sports


Week 15. Sports. Did you have a favorite sports team as a child? If so, which one and why. Did your parents follow the same teams? Do you still support the same teams?
This challenge runs from Saturday, April 9, 2011 through Friday, April 15, 2011.

I have never been particularly sporty, although I loved playing hockey and played netball. I could never remember where I was allowed to run to etc with netball, so was always centre! I enjoyed Badminton and took that up when I stopped playing hockey.

As to watching sport. I am rather fond of tennis, although am not so fanatical that I would take the fortnight of Wimbledon off from work to watch the sport! 

My grandfather played Cricket with my Uncle Ted in the rural village of Shackleford, I guess sometime in the 1930s. When my Uncle passed away in the mid 1980s he had been still playing cricket up until he was 77 years of age! My Grandfather and his brothers used to have a bet on the horses - although I am not sure how they did on the odds!

Ironically, it was the Grand National last Saturday and Mum and I always have a small bet - 50p each way in memory of my Grandfather. We do the bet online as I would hate to go into a betting shop and Stuart was working, otherwise that would have been his job! Mum said last week that my Grandfather would study the odds for the horses before making his decision, whereas, am I sure that he would have disapproved, we selected the horses by their name! We did have a win of £11.00 which I am sure he would have approved of!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...