Sunday 24 April 2011

Weekend Cooking - Easter Weekend


I worked right up to Easter, well Maundy Thursday and finished late in the evening. I had planned the weekend cooking, Sunday lunch and the weather forecast predicted good and sunny weather, which meant BBQ! - I had plenty of appropriate food in the freezer and salad stuffs.

We went to Paignton yesterday afternoon, a seaside town set along the Torquay Riviera and I knew that the town was still home to a green grocer. We have the same small West Country chain green grocer in my town too, and whilst it is a small chain, all the food is grown in the South West. Very often the tickets will even tell you which market garden or farm the produce has come from.

As I stood and selected three whopper potatoes suitable for baking in the oven, I could smell the fragrance of tomatoes. Proper tomatoes, the smell that takes me back to my childhood and memories of green plants with little yellow flowers which eventually turn into fresh, home grown tomatoes. I had to buy some, even though I have sufficient in the fridge.


As I made my way to the till to pay for potatoes and tomatoes, Stuart remarked that he loved Rhubarb. I don't recall ever making a Rhubarb crumble. So, we grabbed some cooking apples and planned to have a crumble for desert on Sunday. I had planned a trifle, but that can wait for next weekend which is also a bank holiday weekend here in the UK.

Mum is here for weekend and I was cast back to the days of 35 years or so ago when I sat as a little girl and watched my Grandmother cut and skin the rhubarb and place in a pan with apple, sugar and water.

Just awaiting to go on the cooker.
Nicely cooked and awaiting the crumble mix.
The small one is for hubby to have at work!
Cooked and ready to serve with either custard or ice cream.

There we go, dessert organised for later. For today we are having Roast Lamb with rosemary roasted in the oven. Roast potatoes cooked in goose fat. The suede and carrots will be steamed. The suede will be mashed with butter and pepper. Yorkshire pudding I know traditionally is served with beef, but hey ho, we like it and some stuffing, mixed with hot water and butter. The gravy will be made with the lamb stock and a splash of port.

6 comments:

  1. I sure wish I could come to your house for dinner. Yummmm. We won't see lovely tomatoes like that for a few more months.

    The little casserole for your husband's lunch is just too cute for words. I love that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth. I often make a little extra and then hubby has it for either his lunch or his evening meal if he is on nights. It makes a change from salad or sandwiches! In this case he is having a salad and a desert!

    The little casserole dishes are great and were a gift from a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crumbles; they are to me the best part of pies -- the crumbly topping and the fruit inside :)

    Hope you have a lovely Easter. Your dinner sure sounds inviting!
    The tomatoes we have on offer here in the stores are very sad...have to wait for the farmer's markets to kick in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about "proper" tomatoes. There is nothing in the grocery store to compare with them. I hope you had a lovely Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This week's CSA bag will contain rhubarb (yay! First of the season) and I think I'll go and make an apple-rhubarb crumble, like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My rhubard is only a few inches high, so it will be weeks yet, but it sure is looking healthy. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...