Saturday 30 July 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Wk 31 Grandparents House


Week 31: Grandparents’ House. Describe your grandparents’ house. Was it big or small? How long did they live there? If you do not know this information, feel free to describe the house of another family member you remember from your childhood.
This challenge runs from Saturday, July 30, 2011 through Friday, August 5, 2011.
Is my situation unique? 
My Grandparents rented a house in 1940, in the same road when my Grandmother was born in 1912. That involvement and rental lasted from 1940 until 1996. The tenancy agreement was in my Grandfather's name and remained so until he died in 1974 when it passed to my Grandmother. She remained living in the house until 1991 when she moved into a residential care home and the tenancy passed to my Mum, who remained in the property until 1996. 
A tenancy and an association with that particular house spanned 56 years. The association with this particular road, commenced in 1912 when my Grandmother was born and remained until my Mum moved in 1996, a total of 84 years.
Over the last 20 odd years I have kept an archive of data about this particular road, which is still very much a work in progress. On a personal note, I have all the rent books spanning 1940 until 1996 and all the tenancy information.
Here is a photograph of the house in Walnut Tree Close Guildford in 1968; which was also the focus of an earlier posting which is HERE

This photo was taken by Allen Edwards, whose mother in law lived across the road from my Grandparents. I have looked at this photograph lots of times as it shows the house,the first on the right where my Grandparents lived, but it was only recently, when I was adding it to an earlier post that I realised that the top window is open and has my Grandparents looking out and the bottom window has my Mum peeping outside.

2 comments:

  1. Great post --- as was the earlier post about this house and road. And the picture, just priceless to see your grandparents and mum peering out at all that water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to see them there!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...