Tuesday 13 September 2011

Tea Cup Tuesday - Another Commemorative!

I thought for this Tea Cup Tuesday I would post this one, although not a tea cup, it is fascinating and I hope people enjoy it.





This mug would have been presented to members of the Parish. It bears the following details of Officers of the Parish. Sadly, this example has suffered some damage, but nevertheless is a lovely commemorative piece with some local history & genealogical data.



Rector – Rev G J Birch M.A
Lay Representatives -  Mr. I. L. Hamshaw
Churchwardens – Wm Myatt & George Johnson
Organist – Henry J Williams
Sexton – Charles Goodall
Parish Clerk – William Galt
Teachers – Edward Heal, G. E. Heal, Katie Heal, Sarah Ann Ardern, Ada Arden & Edith Eaton


Parish Council


Franklin Ardern (chairman)
George Johnson (Clerk)
John Allcock
Isaac Matthews
William Lomas
Peter Handley
Edward Clowes


Overseers


William Myatt
Joseph Symer


Surveyor of the highways  - Enoch Loratt

Bagnall is in Staffordshire in the mildlands of England. There is a parish community page HERE which confirms the name of the Rector as George Thomas Birch who was rector for 41 years.

This mug I purchased back in 2004 from eBay. I knew it was damaged when I purchased it, and that added to the history of the item. I think I paid about £10 for the it.


Submitted as part of Tea Cups Tuesday hosted by Artful Affirmations & Martha's Favourites

2 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful mug with a wonderful history! Thanks for sharing.
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I think this is a wonderful commemorative piece! It doesn't matter that it has seen better days, it's old, so that is o.k.
    It is fascinating that you can find the history of the parish too.
    And you could have tea in it if you wanted to, only the crack might stop you : )
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...