Tuesday 27 September 2011

Tea Cup Tuesday - Royal Commemoratives 1902

Welcome to Tea Cup Tuesday.

On Sunday night, as I sat down to watch the Antique Road show (broadcast by the BBC here in the UK), I was contemplating the next object for my Tea Cup Tuesday post. I have quite a choice, each object with their own story to tell. Then on the program was the fascinating story of a 1902 Royal Commemorative tea cup. I thought that this would make a wonderful Tea Cup Tuesday post, especially for those outside of the UK.

So, here is the synopsis of that story and the guideline price and some photographs that I managed to take while pausing the program.

The Story was that the owner's Grandmother had knitted a blanket to send to King Edward upon his Coronation in 1902. The lady wrote to Buckingham Palace and in time received a response, from the Lady in Waiting to Queen Alexander, that it not correct protocol to receive a gift from a commoner and the Queen would like to purchase the blanket. A letter was returned objecting to accepting payment for the gift. A reply from the Lady in Waiting arrived, with the suggestion that gifts be exchanged between Queen Alexander and the lady in question.


The box was then opened and initially revealed the original wrapping paper sent from Buckingham Palace.


Then the delights from within were revealed....


Then, as the cup was tilted, a surprise revealed


Yes, it is the imprint of the face of Queen Alexander.


Here is the complete set & then the valuation......


The expert valued the set at £30-£40 because so many of this style of cup were made. I have a similar style set HERE. I was surprised at that, simply because that is the value, I would pay now for the cup and saucer, but here we have a piece of social history and quite a story, including the name that the person the gift was given to. Of course, if this was in my family I would never part with it and hopefully this chap (left) will keep it as part of his history.

The key question is, Does the blanket still exist in the Royal Household or in their archives?

Submitted as part of Tea Cups Tuesday hosted by Artful Affirmations & The Plumed Pen

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful story. I do love to hear the stories behind the objects on the roadshow.
    Did miss this one so thanks for sharing

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful post! We do get your Antiques Roadshow here in Canada though not always so timely LOL I have been quite addicted to it over the years. We have some bits in the family handed down from my English MIL and I hope it is the sentiment that keeps them in the family. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun and informative post! Great story. Happy Tea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful segment...we always get them a season or so behind. The translucent picture on the bottom is called a lithophane. They were very popular at that time. What a treasure it would be to have that with the box & wrappings! Thanks for sharing.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating post~ Thanks for sharing this info and pics. Happy Fall~

    ReplyDelete
  6. You voiced my question as well! Also, I thought if they had the letters that would have raised the value of the entire set.
    What a great story and cup! I have never seen an image like that on a cup before.
    Thank you so much for your unique post about tea cups, I love it!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...