Monday 14 November 2011

Book Meme - Day 09 - A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

I heard lots of hype over the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. The hype both on line and off, I could not even go to the doctors without one of the receptionists asking if I had ever read the series. Well, I hadn't even heard of the series.

I located a copy of the first in the series  - titled Cross Stitch. This first book is set just after the Second World War. Nurse Claire is reunited with her husband. They are together in Scotland, rekindling their romance, whilst dealing with the mental images of war. Quite by chance Claire stumbles into a stone circle in the Highlands of Scotland and all of a sudden is plunged into the early 1740s in Scotland - here she faces Jacobean Scotland and is about to "see" the Battle of Culludon. She also meets Jamie Fraser......

These are a great series of books, not my usual cup of tea, but the research undertaken by the author is amazing. A consequence of all this research is that there is usually a wait between books in the series! Definitely a recommended series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...