Thursday 10 November 2011

Lest we Forget.....William James West



Just joining the new weekly 100 words challenge for Grown ups and a straight prompt which is below. For more details click HERE

lest we forget.....


I look at the photograph of a young, handsome man. There is something about that image that urges me to find out about his short and purposeful life. 

He was just 20 years old when he paid the ultimate sacrifice. 

His war record shows that he perished from a gun wound to the chest at 43 casualty clearing station in France. I can not help but wonder, was he alone? was he in dreadful pain? I suspect that deep down I know those answers. 

That makes me very sad. Although he has been gone 93 years, he is not forgotten.

For more details about William James West click HERE


10 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful tribute to your grandfather's cousin. It's good to know that these brave men really are remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we should never forget. So many young lives lost. A lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:33 am

    This is a thoughtful tribute to one who paid the ultimate price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad and such a waste. A lovely and very moving tribute to your grandfather's cousin. These things are important I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A moving tribute. So many brave young men lost their lives. Never should be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My late Grandfather could have perished, had his foot not been run over by a vehicle. He was invalided out of the army. There but for...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My late Grandfather could have perished, had his foot not been run over by a vehicle. He was invalided out of the army. There but for...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:19 pm

    I loved reading this purposeful tribute, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Julie & welcome to 100WCGU.
    This is a great first entry. So sad and yet I suspect it represents many, many similar stories.

    Hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for stopping by and posting comments about William James.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...