Friday 17 February 2012

21st Century Organised Family Historian - Week 6 - To The Rescue!

Continuing the weekly thread organised by Michelle at The Turning of Generations

The biggest risk historically was those horrid photograph albums that had sticky backs and then the plastic you placed over the photo. Thankfully, we dealt with our three albums of this kind a few years ago. My main issue is making sure that all photographs, not just genealogical ones are scanned, dated and archived. The originals archived with information and dates.  I still have some older photographs, pre digital that need to be scanned and then uploaded to Flickr. 

Flickr is a rather useful service for the sum of around £15 a year you can upload as many photos as you want and have the facility to make some private, so that only the account holder can see them. I tend to add all photographs to Flickr in addition to our personal archive.

The other risk issue is piles of research papers. I am still working through the boxes and piles of papers. The risk is that loose papers get moved and then perhaps lost. Worse still to have drinks spilt on them. So,the best way of making material safe is to avoid piles and put files  & papers away when  they are finished with! 

2 comments:

  1. I can empathise with both the piles of photos and piles of papers. I might never have time to sleep when I start in on these! Good sorting and storing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can see how little I sleep! lol!

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...