Friday 17 February 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy - Week 6 - Family Heirlooms


Week 6 - Family Heirlooms - For which heirlooms are you most grateful? How did you acquire this treasure and what does it mean to you and your family?

Challenge open from Sunday February 5th  - Saturday 11th February 2012

I am grateful for anything that has survived the tests of time. We have almost nothing from my Grandmother's parents. After her parents died my Grandmother returned home to find that her oldest brother had given the house up and was emptying the house onto a coal wagon. My Grandmother never really forgave her brothers for being so selfish and she spent the rest of her life merged within my Grandfather's family. That said, I have things that I have inherited from my Grandparents all over the house.

In past times, families have often seen possessions from past generations as functional objects, rather than a link to a past and probably deceased generation, or an antique. During the late 1970s I remember my Grandmother getting rid of lots of bits and pieces and none of us thought anything really of it. Looking back now, I truly feel slightly sick when I think of all the little treasures discarded.

Of all the treasures and inherited bits that have survived I have a few favourites - my Grandfather's medals from the Second World War, a piece of embroidered cloth from his time in Africa during the War. His Service Pay book. I have a whole series of photographs that have passed down either directly through my own family or from Cousins. 

Regular readers may remember that I purchased from a well known auction site a scrapbook belong to a distant family member. You can read that blog post HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...