Tuesday 7 February 2012

NaBloPoMo - February 2012 - Relative! - Day 5

I focused earlier on which ancestors I would invite to dinner. Well, this got the little grey cells working and I wondered which ancestors I would visit in true "Back to the Future" style.

I would head back to the 17th Century and wander through the village of Puttenham in Surrey where many of my 3 x Great Grandmother, Prudence Budd's family came from. I would want to see how they lived, the food they ate and how they coped with their hard existence.

I would travel across the border into Hampshire and see my Elstone ancestors working in their paper mill. I would cross the border into Sussex and see how my Pim ancestors made their fortune with their paper mill. Was there really a link to the early Parliamentarian?

I would like to hear about John Hunt Butcher from Hascombe planning his migration to Tasmania, was this because of tales he heard from his brother in law? Also my Elstone ancestors who migrated to Canada and Australia.

Wouldn't it be lovely just to wander into their world and experience it first hand. Would we look like each other? Either facially or with mannerisms?

4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about who I would invite to dinner since I read your first post. Now I will be trying to decide who I should go back and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Julie. ther's so many questions we have about our ancestors' lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often wondered about this sort of thing: like in Downton Abbey, I know my ancestors would have been the farmers or servants: seeing them live out their lives is sort of a glimpse into that. I guess!

    Interesting post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've often wondered about this sort of thing: like in Downton Abbey, I know my ancestors would have been the farmers or servants: seeing them live out their lives is sort of a glimpse into that. I guess!

    Interesting post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...