Sunday 26 February 2012

Sunday Salon - February Round up!


It is a glorious sunny Sunday here in the south west of England. There is a real feel of spring is in the air! The last few weeks I have been busy contemplating, reading, writing and reviewing.

I received a Kindle from my husband for Christmas who I think was under the impression that it would reduce the amount of books I have. I have not had the heart to tell him, that it has not worked! I still have piles of real books and a rather hefty amount on my Kindle. My contemplation is how to catalogue them? Any thoughts and comments gratefully received.

I took part in the TLC book tour this week by reviewing the latest in the Elm Creek series by Jennifer Chiaverini. You can read that review HERE. I really enjoyed the book and look forward to the next in the series. I read somewhere, that Jennifer has signed a new 3 book deal with her publisher which is excellent news!

I have also reviewed one of the books that I received for Christmas. Forgotten Bookmarks by Michael Popek. There was something about this book, from the minute I saw the cover I knew I wanted to read it. Well, I have spent the last couple of months reading cover to cover and then dipping in and enjoying some of the details again. That review is HERE.

For this week's Weekend Cooking post I read and shared from this delightful little book. I purchased this last October whilst on our second visit to Jersey. A beautiful Island, with an amazing history and the closest the German Army got to British shores. The experiences of the German Occupation is widely recorded across the island. You can read about my trip HERE and read about this book HERE.

I have also read and looked at a few e-books recently and these will be reviewed over the coming week.

Apart from that I have had a few Guest posts published, all genealogical. Firstly on Catholic Gene, about my Catholic ancestors and then as an International post to the Graveyard Rabbit's site.

I am almost at the end of two month long writing events  - Family History Writing Challenge and the NaBloPoMo Challenge. The word for February was Relative. I have written both every day, but they all need proof reading before posting to my blog, so there will be an influx this week.

12 comments:

  1. The one about bookmarks sounds intriguing Julie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it is a great little book. Such a fabulous idea, I wish I had thought of it!

      Delete
  2. My husband probably thought the same thing when he bought me a NOOK... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is at least two husbands that are disappointed!

      Delete
  3. I have a Kindle and should really catalogue my book collection in a better way. Currently I have three collections entitled 'Emergency Books' 'Holiday Reading' and 'Books Read.' Everything else gets lumped together. So what I'm really saying is don't take advice from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are in good company. I have currently 9 collections - To Read, Read, Currently Reading, Book Reviews, Reference, Cookery and Genealogy. There is also a angling collection for hubby. I don't think that is organised enough. I am ready at the point where I can not find anything!

      Delete
  4. My daughter bought my Kindle and I'm sure she thought I would stop buying print books...ha-ha! I just buy more of everything.

    I have created collections on my Kindle, one of which is Books Read in 2011; and I now realized I need to create a collection for 2012.

    Good luck!

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - still pondering how I am going to organise my reading. Perhaps I shall contemplate further after I have read this week's Salon posts!

      Delete
  5. I didn't know about the Elm Creek series, Julie. That sounds delightful - thanks for the info and the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great series Becca. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I have a kindle too, and I've been stocking up on all of those free classics. :) I use LibraryThing to catalog my books - it really helps me to keep track of my books, especially so that I don't purchase duplicates. My only problem has been remembering to update it consistently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Alyce I use Librarything which is kind of public but I also use Collectorz which I've found easier in some ways -it finds the books I want more quickly. You do have to remember to add the books and ebooks are easier to forget than hard copy. The plus is that you don't have to keep finding bookcases.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...