Sunday 26 February 2012

Sunday Stamps - Burchell's Zebra


Welcome, to the latest Sunday Stamps posting, and what I think is my first for 2012. I can not believe where the time disappears too.

Over the last couple of months I have been focusing a bit more on my genealogical research and it was through this that I established a link, albeit, a distant once to the well know Botanist, William John Burchell. Burchell spent a lot of time overseas, firstly to St Helena, then onto South Africa and South America. As he travelled he wrote a journal and collected specimens.  It was through the course of this research that I established that Burchell had, had a Zebra named after him. I had no idea that there were different types of Zebra.

Issued 2007
dated circa 1950
So far, I just have these two items in my Burchell Zebra collection, but I suspect that I might acquire a few more!

Submitted as Sunday Stamps hosted by Viridian's Postcard Blog

11 comments:

  1. How interesting to find such a connection. I wonder who I am connected to.
    Thank you for participating this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful stamp. Interesting connection - now I'm wondering whether there are any 'Scotney' stamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do a google search. There is a place in Hampshire called Sutton Scotney.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting relative to find!!!
    I am often amazed at the distant travels made by people in Victorian times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have the misapprehension that no one travelled. They did, the wealthy, those in the military, those who took up land grants to parts of what was the Empire - New Zealand, South Africa, Australia etc or convicts!

      Delete
  4. I love that coloured stamp with the Zebra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me curious about various types of zebras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I am not particularly interested in visiting Zoos, but perhaps a visit to one is in order or a safari!

      Delete
  6. So, in a distant way, these zebras are almost like family. I think you should go to the zoo and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely stamps. I've not received any yet from so far away or so exotic. Maybe eventually. Cool that your ancestor had a zebra species named after him!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...