Saturday 8 December 2012

Advent Calendar 2012 - Christmas Cookies

Last Christmas I took part in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Exchange. I had planned to participate this year too, but the nominations were open whilst we were in Australia and I forgot to complete the form when we came back, so I shall await next year!

This post is a tweaked version of the original post. (The original post can be seen HERE).

I looked on line and through every cookbook I owned and still was undecided on what recipe. Then I recalled that one of my favourite books, which is part of a series and sits on the bookcase in the hall was a novel, interspersed with recipes. A quick look and I knew that I had found the recipe. It's very title sharing the ethos of the cookie exchange.




See what mean, it was meant to be! Each hardback edition of the series has printed within the covers the quilt designs shared within the book. These is the Friendship Square design.

So to cooking -

Firstly, heat the chocolate and butter over a pan of simmering water


While that was under way, I gathered the rest of my equipment and ingredient.




The little red measuring spoons were my Grandmothers, and despite having two much newer sets, I used my old faithfuls. I used a photocopy of the recipe, rather than have any spillages on my nice book!

Then in a bowl mix the sugar and 4 eggs. Then add the vanilla essence and lastly the mix of flour and salt. After a further good mix add the cooled chocolate.


Pour the mixture into a prepared 9 x 13 tray. Lightly greased with a sprinkle of flour and decorate with the choc chips, nuts and coconut you can see in the above picture.


Place in the oven at 190c or 325F for 25 minutes.

Here we are after cooking.

Make sure that the tray has more than a slight grease! Removal was tricky and I was quite worried about cooking casualties!  - Here they are on a plate just before packing and posting.


It is a lovely recipe and one I shall try again. I think next time I shall use cake cases and then add a small plop of chocolate drops or a walnut or two, as cleaning the baking try was a bit of an ordeal!

This post is also being shared with Weekend Cooking which is hosted by Beth at BethFishReads

11 comments:

  1. Yum! These look delicious. The Quilter's Cookbooks looks lovely! It is a great gift idea for my mother who loves to quilt. Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful week.
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! I haven't read Chiaverini but I've been meaning to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh that does look good and The Quilter's Cookbook looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy...the book looks great and the cake looks VERY DELISH.

    THANKS.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look delicious! I love the ease of bar cookies.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun thing to do,and your treats look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A tasty and easy to make recipe. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my book, you just can't go wrong with chocolate, more chocolate and coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm hesitant to cook bars or bar cookies exactly for that reason - it's hard to get them out of the pan without breakage! Glad you were able to make it work, and the result looks yummy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was meant to be. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...