The whole concept of being able to explore, discuss and chat informally with fellow genealogists despite the many time zones and miles between us is truly wonderful and anyone who has not embraced this is surely missing out on a real treat.
I know from personal experience that the first hangout is always a huge hurdle in terms of nerves and questions - what if it all goes wrong? - nothing did go wrong and Jill is planning to host another in a few weeks. This, hopefully will become a regular feature on the genealogical online hangout calendar.
Over the course of an hour this morning we chatted and mentioned some great online resources and whilst I didn't note all of them down, here are a few I can remember - great resources to everyone researching their ancestry, or local history - listed in no particular order
- Trove - A fantastic newspaper resource run by the National Library of Australia
- Society for One-Place Studies - A great new 21st Century Society embracing online facilities
- Family History Across the Seas - Pauleen mentioned the value of Valuation Rolls
- State Library of Victoria was mentioned by Anne of Ballarat!
- Old Bailey Online
- Genies Down Under - Podcasts with an Aussie flavour!
- Biographical Database of Australia was mentioned by both Jill and Sharon
- Family Search Wiki
It was a true joy to be invited by my Aussie geneablogging mate to take part.
If you missed the hangout - you can watch it at Jill's YouTube Channel, but here it is embedded, for your viewing pleasure and enjoyment.
Congratulations to Jill for taking the bull by the horns and launching Geniaus On Air!
If you want to be kept in the loop about when the next Aussie Hangout will take place add Jill to your Google Circle and you never need miss a hangout again!
As you guys down under would say - Good on ya Jill!