Tuesday 12 November 2013

Tuesday's Tip - Commonwealth War Graves

Yesterday, I was reminded of the following video produced by Tessa Keough. I sat and listened again to the video and did a quick search for my one name study name of Orlando. I have done this before, and there are none, not too surprising as it is an Italian name.

However, I watched the video, and Tessa directs researchers to the obvious and perhaps neglected facility of advanced search, marked Filter Results on the left hand side of the page. I contemplated the uses that perhaps I had not thought of.



In the last box under filter research I added the details of the villages for which I am undertaking a one-place study - Puttenham and Wanborough. I then looked at Elstead, a village a few miles away. I shared the photograph of the War memorial on Sunday - you can read that post HERE.

I then wondered if the road which I am undertaking a one place study for would yield any results. A search for Walnut Tree Close, Guildford produced 9 results, all for the First World War.

Whilst that perhaps seems fairly obvious, it is sometimes the simplest and most obvious things that we neglect. I have looked at the Commonwealth War Graves site many times and not once searched in any way, other than by surname.

It is important to remember that if you are using the filter research box and insert a town or village that you do add addition information - such as the County. There are for instance, two Puttenham, two Wanborough's with North Wanborough being in Wiltshire and two Elstead's, and whilst there are perhaps differences in the spelling, it is worth looking a little closer at the detail.

So thank you Tessa for reminding me of the advanced search; and it is never too late to learn or be prodded to try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...