Saturday 28 December 2013

Society Saturday - Revisiting Your Society

Over the years I have been a member of numerous and various Societies. As each year passes, the development of social media and the material available on line is tremendous.

Just recently I stumbled across a reference to the website of a Society I have been a member of since 1987. I noticed the mention of a members area and suddenly I asked myself when did that happen? I realise then that it is important to revisit the websites and archives perhaps already explored. Whilst the world of social media is moving along at rapid speed and the commercial entities growing at almost on a daily basis, the Societies that have been the constant of our hobby are tentatively chipping away with the valued work of volunteers.

Here are a few questions to ponder on -
  • When did you last revisit the websites of the family history societies that you are a member of? 
  • Have you made some wonderful and new discoveries?
  • Have you or do you volunteer within your Societies? 

Through the course of 2014 I plan to share details of Societies I belong to, those I have previously belonged to and those I stumble across through the course of my own research. Most of the Societies will be genealogical or historical, but not all, so stay tuned for
Society Saturday.



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:56 pm

    Hi Julie,

    Looking forward to your posts on societies, as I've been a member of a few over the years and really had a range of experiences of them.

    I recently posed some questions to a few over on my blog ( http://historyrepeating.org.uk/2013/10/24/society-spotlight-the-conclusion-genealogy-history/ ), so I wonder whether you'll uncover some similar themes running through the ones you've experienced.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...